Skip to content
- In vehicles, the gearbox, also known as the transmission, is typically located between the engine and the wheels. It can be positioned in different ways depending on the type of vehicle and its design
- A gearbox is a part of the ‘transmission’ system that comprises various gears, synchronizing sleeves, and a gear-shifting mechanism fitted inside a metal housing.
- The gearbox works on the principle that when a smaller gear meshes with a larger gear, low speed and high torque will obtain at the output shaft. When a larger gear meshes with a smaller gear, high speed and low torque will obtain at the output shaft.
- The features of a vehicle gearbox depend on the type of gearbox. There are two primary types of car gearboxes: manual and automatic.
- Manual gearboxes allow the driver to get complete control and choose the gears manually, operating both the gearstick and the clutch. Manual transmissions are affordable and easy to maintain compared to automatic transmission